This article covers the soft fixes you can take if your petrol lawnmower is producing black smoke.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Black smoke is almost always caused because of a dirty air filter.
- Please check and clean the air filter if dirty.
Checking and Cleaning the Air Filter
Sponge Air Filter
- Please check the air filter is clear of any dirt or debris.
- A clean sponge air filter would be either grey or yellow.
- If you have a sponge air filter which is dirty, you may clean the air filter using warm soapy water.
- To remove the air filter, unclip the filter cover on the side of your engine.
- Some models may use a securing screw which can be removed by hand or using a screwdriver.
- Please ensure you leave the filter to fully air dry before reinstalling.
Paper Air Filter
- A clean paper air filter would be white in colour.
- If you have a paper air filter, it is not possible to clean the air filter.
- If the air filter is dirty or damaged then you will need to purchase another filter.